Introduction: How to spot a JSE woman in her natural habitat
What exactly is Just Southern Enough? Do you know a JSE woman? Chances are – lucky for you –
that you do know a Just Southern Enough woman, but you just may not have realized it. Being a JSE woman is a delicate blend of art and science, and no two of us will be the same. But I'll let you in on a few secrets so you can spot us and marvel in (or be afraid of) our beautiful insanity.
For starters, there are a few qualities that are common among us. JSE women are a balance of city and country, salty and sweet, tender and angry. We have big hearts and big mouths – both of which get us into trouble. We probably grew up with social expectations, but somewhere along the line we decided to chuck those out the window and to blaze our own trails, much to the chagrin of many mamas and daddies throughout the South. We haven't quite figured out where we fit in, so we're easy to spot: we're the ones who show up to your Kentucky Derby party dressed head to toe in black, and we're the ones who may have worn a string of pearls to a hot yoga class. We have manners, know how to use them, and we judge those who don't. We've climbed actual fences and figurative ladders. We project confidence but embody insecurity and have mastered the art of sweetly smiling through clenched teeth and rage.
And while no two Just Southern Enough women are the same, there are a few hints that may help determine if a woman you've encountered is Just Southern Enough:
- If she's Sooner born and Sooner bred but are a die-hard Yankees fan, she's Just Southern Enough. (Bonus points if you know what a Sooner is…)
- If she spent the first two years of college in Texas and Alabama, but her degree is from an all-women's college in New York City, she's Just Southern Enough.
- When traveling, if she can launch her suitcase into the overhead bin space all by herself, but she completely melts when a gentleman opens her car door, she's Just Southern Enough.
- If her closet contains both broken-in cowboy boots and rarely-worn Jimmy Choos, then she might be Just Southern Enough – so long as her boots are dirty from pastures or rodeo arenas, not from a dive bar in the East Village.
- If she uses "bless her heart" and "f*ck off" in the same sentence and with the proper context, she's definitely Just Southern Enough.
So now that we have a better understanding about how to spot a Just Southern Enough woman, let's talk about who a JSE woman really is. So y'all pull up a chair, pour yourself a glass of iced tea (sweet or Long Island – either is fine), and let's get comfortable being uncomfortable, because now we're going to discuss what being a Just Southern Enough woman is all about.
First up: Self-Care. Also known as "don't forget your lipstick."